Hello,

On Jul 7, 2010, at 6:57 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> I've been working on getting applications to use the 'NSS Shared DB':
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/NSS_Shared_DB_And_LINUX
Nice effort. Don't know if it will be possible to promote NSS to be the library
of choice on Linux platform, I know that Fedora is trying to do that, but there
will be others who dislike NSS for something else (be that OpenSSL or GnuTLS or
bouncycastle instead)

> I received a bug report from a user using smart cards, and wanted to
> test it -- so I bought a 'Crypto Stick v1.2' from German Privacy
> Foundation, after seeing that the CCID driver supported it.

The two v2.0 OpenPGP spec compatible pre-release sticks of I received for
testing unfortunately did not work at all, I did not get further than seeing
the ATR if I was lucky, some electrical issues.

The older 1.0 card I have, got locked up a looooong time ago. There have been
no reports of success (or failure) with OpenPGP cards on the mailing list for
quite a long time, so it could be considered as not working/obsolete, until
somebody proves otherwise.

> Unfortunately, I didn't realise that this only seems to mean that the
> _reader_ is supported; the OpenPGP v2 card that's soldered into it is
> not.
Correct. I noticed that OpenPGP card[1] did not show up in the SupprtedHardware
[2] wiki page, that is fixed now. I marked it as unsupported.

> The patch below makes it look like it's kind of working, but not for
> anything useful. It may be obvious that I have no clue what I'm doing;
> any pointers would be gratefully appreciated. Including "don't bother
> with that; just buy one of <these>.". I'm in the UK.
>
> $ pkcs15-init  -C
> Using reader with a card: German Privacy Foundation Crypto Stick v1.2 00 00
> resp len 17: 62 15 84 10 d2 76 00 01 24 01 02 00 00 05 00 00 05 4b 00 00 8a
> 01 05
> [pkcs15-init] pkcs15-lib.c:322:sc_pkcs15init_bind: Unsupported card driver
> openpgp
> Couldn't bind to the card: Not supported

OpenPGP 1.0/1.1 support that does exist in OpenSC, consists of a card driver
for basic functionality and a PKCS#15 emulation layer, as the card does not
follow PKCS#15.
There is no personalization support via pkcs15-init. You need to write it or
use the OpenPGP specific tools for that.

The PKCS#15 emulation layer hardcodes many things that might not be on the card
at all. For example, it hard-codes 1024b keys, which are old now, the spec
supports keys up to 3072 bits. So unless pkcs11-tool --login --test works for
one of the slots, the output of pkcs15-tool can be pure printf. Can you read
out certificates for example? Does the information in the certificate match the
output of pkcs15-tool -D?

[1] http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/OpenPGP
[2] http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/SupportedHardware
--