On Wed, 2010-07-07 at 21:49 +0300, Martin Paljak wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Jul 7, 2010, at 6:57 PM, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > I've been working on getting applications to use the 'NSS Shared
> DB':
> > https://wiki.mozilla.org/NSS_Shared_DB_And_LINUX
> Nice effort. Don't know if it will be possible to promote NSS to be
> the library of choice on Linux platform, I know that Fedora is trying
> to do that, but there will be others who dislike NSS for something
> else (be that OpenSSL or GnuTLS or bouncycastle instead)

Personally, I dislike them all :)

My main motivation was originally to get to the point where we can add
CA certs (company certs, CAcert, etc.) to the system and have everything
'just work'. Debian's update-ca-certificates script comes close, but
doesn't work for NSS... and since I'm looking at Fedora and most things
there use NSS, that's kind of a PITA. Hence picking up the shared DB
stuff, getting it to work, and getting apps to use it.

And hence getting bug reports when opensc breaks with it... :)

> OpenPGP 1.0/1.1 support that does exist in OpenSC, consists of a card
> driver for basic functionality and a PKCS#15 emulation layer, as the
> card does not follow PKCS#15.
> There is no personalization support via pkcs15-init. You need to write
> it or use the OpenPGP specific tools for that.
>
> The PKCS#15 emulation layer hardcodes many things that might not be on
> the card at all. For example, it hard-codes 1024b keys, which are old
> now, the spec supports keys up to 3072 bits. So unless pkcs11-tool
> --login --test works for one of the slots, the output of pkcs15-tool
> can be pure printf. Can you read out certificates for example?

[dw...@i7 ~]$ pkcs11-tool  --login --test
resp len 17: 62 15 84 10 d2 76 00 01 24 01 02 00 00 05 00 00 05 4b 00 00
8a 01 05
Please enter User PIN:
C_SeedRandom() and C_GenerateRandom():
  seeding (C_SeedRandom) not supported
  seems to be OK
Digests:
  all 4 digest functions seem to work
  MD5: OK
  SHA-1: OK
  RIPEMD160: OK
Signatures (currently only RSA signatures)
  testing key 0 (Signature key)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

This wasn't what I intended to work on... I think I'll just get a
better-supported device. :)

--
dwmw2