On Sep 14, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> In older versions of many of the tools, like pkcs15-tool, the
> opensc.conf debug level is reset to the verbose:
>
> pkcs15-tool.c:  "Verbose operation. Use several times to enable debug
> output.",
> pkcs15-tool.c:          ctx->debug = verbose-1;
>
> So add 8 -v options.
>
> In the SVN this restriction was removed form pkcs15-tool.c, but
> westcos-tool.c, opensc-tool.c, piv-tool.c, pkcs15-crypt.c pkcs15-init.c
> and rutoken-tool.c still reset the debug level.
The change is somewhere in my local git branch, it have slipped through
somehow. Will check.

> I would rather see these do something like:
>        if (verbose > ctx->debug)
>               ctx->debug = verbose;

A more coherent understandig of what is debug logging, what is verbose
operation of a tool and how command line options map to each should be set.

To be honest, I'd disconnect --verbose and ctx->debug as the functioning is
misleading, especially the toying with stderr and debug_file.

--
Martin Paljak
@martinpaljak.net