On 9/29/2010 9:51 AM, Andre Zepezauer wrote:
> Hello Douglas,
>
> in my opinion the usage of OpenSSL in libopensc.so should be removed
> altogether. If cryptography is needed by some cards (i.e. for
> ), then this should be done by dedicated
> tools. CardOS is a good example. It requires encrypted APDU:s for the
> delete_MF and create_MF commands. This is done by cardos-tool, which has
> to be executed only before personalisation. Looking at the code of
> entersafe, gpk and oberthur I came to the conclusion, that a similar
> approach could work for these drivers too.

I agree. The PIV card only needs 3DES for initialization/personalization
today. The piv-tool was designed to allow for initializing test cards, with
the intent that production cards would be issued by card management stations
run by others as the NIST standards only cover a few of the commands needed
for initialization, leaving the rest up to the card vendors. (i.e. one can
generate a key ipair on the card, but you can not load a private key on the
card.) Thus the ordinary user would not require OpenSSL.

> If parsing of certificates is the reason for using OpenSSL, then the
> missing functionality of pkcs15-cert.c should be determined and
> corresponding tickets should be created.

What has happened as some card driver authors have found it easier to
just use OpenSSL, and have added routines like: sc_pkcs15_pubkey_from_cert
into pkcs11-pubkey.c  Because the parse_x509_cert only works with RSA.

But to get this code replaced, will take the will of the community
to get this done.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory