Hello,
On Sep 29, 2010, at 8:18 PM, Frank Morgner wrote:

>> in my opinion the usage of OpenSSL in libopensc.so should be removed
>> altogether. If cryptography is needed by some cards (i.e. for
>> initialisation/personalisation), then this should be done by dedicated
>> tools. CardOS is a good example. It requires encrypted APDU:s for the
>> delete_MF and create_MF commands. This is done by cardos-tool, which has
>> to be executed only before personalisation. Looking at the code of
>> entersafe, gpk and oberthur I came to the conclusion, that a similar
>> approach could work for these drivers too.
>
> I disagree. It is the whole point of card drivers to implement card
> specific operations. SM and whatever needs encryption is such an
> operation. Using dedicated card specific tools contradicts OpenSC's
> currently used approach of using card drivers.
Correct. The abundance of card-specific tools should be controlled.
Also, as the line between "libopensc" and "OpenSC, with tools" is blurred, I
don't see the need to draw a line between those two.
Scattered use of OpenSSL and duplicated code is a different issue than
requiring OpenSSL or not.

> The code (also needs a patched version of OpenSSL) is much more
> extensive than other SM cards in opensc-sm.trunk, that's why I doubt
> that there is a chance of integrating the nPA into OpenSC.
What are the limitations in OpenSC?

--
@MartinPaljak.net
+3725156495