Hi,

Java
> code) get mostly allocated separately from that 32K ?
> Maybe Toni knows more.

Current MyEID cards are 80K, but some of this space is used by the MyEID
applet itself.

The file size you see in the 3F00 file is the remaining free space, but due
to a limitation of java cards in general, as Martin mentioned, 32k is the
largest number for signed short.
This only shows that you have at least this amount o space left. To get to
know how much space you actually have left, you could create a file that is
32k, and the see how much space is left. Then if you still get the maximum
(32k), then create another 32k file and then see the results. By
adding these values together you get the actual space.

> > But I'm still missing some useful details (like typical keysize, how
> > much space does a key need in index files & so on)...
> Looking at that index file might help? Also, every applet will take some
> memory for internal bookkeeping, so it is not simply 1:1.

A single key (private or public) needs typically 70-90 bytes in the dir file
(index file). The actual amount depends on the label length.
One 1024bit RSA key pair takes 512bytes and one 2048bit key pair takes
960bytes.

Kind regards,
Toni