On Feb 18, 2011, at 11:54 AM, NdK wrote:

> Il 18/02/2011 07:07, Martin Paljak ha scritto:
>
>>> Yup. That's why keys are generated on card :)
>> Unless the key is exportable ....
> Always asked why one needs to mark a private key exportable: if you need
> it exportable, create it externally and load to card. It's even faster. :)
Exportable (plaintext) vs exportable (wrappable). The result is the same (key
leaves the card) the method different.

>> If you want to sign certificates with a smart card (run a CA against a
>> PKCS#11 token) then EJBCA is the most feature complete solution I know. But
>> most probably too much hassle for a few certificates for home use.
> Well, for now it's personal, but I'm evaluating it for office use too.
> We'll need to setup a ZeroShell box to authenticate users, and it
> contains a (quite limited, but sufficient if it supported cards) CA.
XCA worked with OpenSC quite OK IIRC, you might want to try it as well.

>>> *But* if I specify a slot too, it asks me for a PIN. Too bad *none* of
>>> the PINs I created works:
>>> $ openssl req -days 3650 -new -out rootca.csshl.org.csr -config
>>> openssl.conf -engine pkcs11 -keyform engine -key 1:10 -sha1
>>
>> Have you tried some other format? slot_XX:id_XX ? (even though it should be
>> the same). Having OpenSC log with the relevant C_OpenSession() and C_Login
>> lines is useful as well.
> Yup. All formats. Same result: slot 0 = no PIN, every other slot asks
> 'who knows' PIN.
Unfortunately engine_pkcs11 (and OpenSSL in general) is not the best interface
for smart cards, especially for user interaction purposes. But a patch against
engine_pkcs11 might make the prompt a bit easier to understand [1]

> Says nowhere that a PIN is locked...

It seems the card (or the driver) does not support fetching remaining tries
left of a PIN.

[1]
https://github.com/martinpaljak/engine_pkcs11/commit/39259efe109dcd81502e920155c10a30f41cbb8f
--