> b) There is no such thing as Gnome smart card manager. If it will ever be
> created in the context I assume the original poster thinkgs about it, it will
> probably be integrated to Gnome Keyring/Seahorse. But there's nothing there
> yet.

See my previous post regarding this - I assume the OP meant the
smartcard-plugin which, together with the login options gdm applet forms
the 'gnome smartcard manager', I think.

> c) It is virtually impossible to provide a ready made configuration file for
> a PKI related software component out of the box for a universal operating
> system (be it Debian or Fedora). PKI by definition requires configuring the
> trusted sources and endpoints (the public keys), I don't think you'd want to
> allow logon to your network or box to all the hundred-something "trusted
> issuers" you get by default with a browser installation....

Nobody can find a solution which satisfies 100% of all users - I wasn't
implying that. All I would have wanted to do is have a well-thought out
guide and a decent (not outdated!) software to support me in what I
wanted to do, namely, use my Aladdin token to login both via the console
and gdm. At the time I attempted this it was nigh impossible as my posts
from that period confirm.

>> Given all that, I had to compile everything from source (imagine the
>> number -devel dependencies packages I had to install for this!), build
>> gdm 2.32 (on FC13!), build openct/opensc drivers from source while strip
>> the dependencies I do not need and eventually made the whole thing work,
>> not without the critical help I received from a few members on this
>> list, Andre Zepezauer, Ludovic Rousseau, Martin Paljak and Peter Stuge
>> to name a few.
>>

> There are two things to do here:
> a) provide up to date packages of all software that deals with the smart card
> experience (from CCID to NSS/Firefox combo)

This is one important part, but there was no guidance at the time too.

> b) provide holistically configured software packages.
>
> Both are hard, because it is difficult to get the traction and attention of
> developers what Firefox gets.
>
> For the overall configuration: as RedHat is interested in selling their
> Dogtag/NDS solution, it is reasonable to expect that their packages are
> pre-configured to work with *their* holistic view of the PKI world.

Typical Redhat thinking though!