On 2011-08-14 08:59, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> There had been always unified API: PKCS#11.
> Well, at Microsoft environment there was CryptoAPI Provider.
> The good about the CryptoAPI is that it allowed enough flexibility so
> that, for example, you could have created a generic CryptoAPI provider
> on-top of PKCS#11.
>
> In the MiniDriver, Microsoft advanced too far. It created a dependency
> between Microsoft specific data and on-card implementation. It also
> created a dependency between configuration and card content.
>
> So now, instead of providing a single API (PKCS#11) and a single
> bridge for Microsoft environment (CryptoAPI Provider->PKCS#11) you
> need to work much harder.
>
> Alon.

PKCS #11 is great as a "user" API.

As the foundation for an online provisioning API it seems more limited.
RedHat do not use PKCS #11 in their DogTag Card Management System
for this reason although they support a  limited set if cards.

The reason for bringing this up is that suddenly the interest for creating
a browser-based provisioning system has even reached Google (!) and then
the question about middleware is popping up.  I'm less optimistic that
you can create a useful system which can be used by consumers
without doing something creative in the lower layers as well.

Microsoft is (based on "indirect" information...), also working on a new
enrollment system which builds on the MiniDriver.

Anders