On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 4:01 PM, NdK <ndk.cla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Il 22/05/2012 14:32, Martin Paljak ha scritto:
>
>> Regarding PIN codes, communication is protected with AES, in addition
>> to BT pairing.
> How does the AES key exchange work? 'cause it's the weak link...
> If the attacker can obtain the AES key (for example if it's printed on
> the unit and the attacker could see it), then it's the same as cleartext.

Actually I just installed the latest toolkit to my new android phone
and it requires initial pairing through USB (but IIRC it was possible
without it as well)

Nevertheless, the "NSA approved" devices all require/suggest pairing
in a secure location, with adequate pairing passwords etc. Which is
anyway a generally useful suggestion. I'd guess those guys know as
well what they are doing and what is wrong and what is right:

http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/factsheets/I732-016R-07.pdf
http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/wireless/BlueToothDoc.pdf

Then again, considering using convenience solutions (like a bluetooth
smart card reader at the moment mostly seems to be) vs "being paranoid
to the level of radio-sniffing-and-key-agreement-intercepting
adversary" is IMHO out of balance. I don't think that there are that
many scenarios where a bluetooth reader is a must have showstopper.

Martin