See below...

-----Original Message-----
From: Douglas E. Engert [mailto:deeng...@anl.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:27 PM
To: Witvliet, J, CDC/IV/DCOPS/I&S/HIN
Cc: opensc-devel@lists.opensc-project.org
Subject: Re: [opensc-devel] encrypt / decrypt

[SNIP]

How short are these messages?

Using PKCS#11 CKM_RSA_X_509, the size of the message must be less then the size
of
the modulus and if using some padded version between 11 bytes less and maybe
half
the size of the modulus.

Using RSA directly of a previously sent message will produce the same encrypted
output which could be subject examination or re-play.

Smime and CMS avoid many of these security issues and others.