I was the OP of this thread.  I've tried the following applications:
- certutil (specifically "certutil -SCInfo" to examine card contents)
- Outlook 2010 (sending signed emails)

With both of these, I'm prompted to enter my card PIN in a Windows
dialog box, rather than on the readers pin pad.

I'm using an OmniKey 3821 reader which has a pin pad.

- Tim