Il 22/09/2012 19:37, Anders Rundgren ha scritto:

>> In my mind, the SE should take over display and touch controller by
>> hardware means, so absolutely no app can snoop user input or fake it.
>> Too bad seems nobody really *needs* that level of security...
> The problem with that is that is impossible for a user to distinguish
> between a real PIN dialog and a fake ditto.  The SKS' "work-around" to
> this particular issue is that there is an OS-based PIN dialog and that
> keys can specify that they only accepts PINs through the system PIN dialog
> (trusted path).
That's quite easy to avoid: once the SE takes over the display, it can
prompt the user with an user-supplied message . Visa is doing something
similar with "securecode auth": when you're doing a payment, you get
redirected to their site, where you see a personalized prompt and have
to enter another password. If you don't see your own prompt, you don't
enter the password..

> If the user is presented a spoofed PIN dialog, the attacker may indeed get
> the PIN.  However, the attacker must also take the device as well in order
> to use it which makes the attack much less useful.
The only drawback would be that if the attacker, after stealing the
phone and hacking it to include the right message in the spoofer,
returns it to the legit user, waits for the spoof to intercept the PIN
and then steals it again... Quite unlikely :) and easily detectable: if
your phone "disappeared", change the prompt before connecting again to
the payment service: if you still see the old prompt, better to reflash
the phone and change *all* your passwords.

> If the OS is hacked this doesn't help but it seems that this is not
> the biggest problem with mobile devices; it is rather determine what
> an app should be able to do or not.
If SE takes over HW access (this could include accelerometers, since
they could be used to infer where the user is tapping -- paranoid
enoug?), then it can be secure even if the OS got hacked.

BYtE,
 Diego.