Hmmm, so why would I want an IDP if I could prove my identity
(certificate) and authenticity (client signature in SSL) with the
credentials I have on my card ?

Is it because SAML is easier to integrate than SSL client authentication
? Or is it because I want my IDP (e.g. Google / Facebook) to know what
I'm doing ?

The IDP model is perfect for username / password, but IMHO it's of less
use when you use keys and certificates. In the later case the CA is your
IDP by providing you with a certificate you can use to authentication
towards others (who trust that certificate issuer as they would trust
the IDP). And just lets wait for the first Diginotar incident at an IDP
- ops they've copied our SAML signing keys...)

Andreas

    ---------    CardContact Software & System Consulting
   |.##> <##.|   Andreas Schwier
   |#       #|   Schülerweg 38