A little update about what's going on with this.  Not sure if anybody else
is using vmware-view-client, but here is some information...

It turns out that the vmware-view-client is for i386, not amd64.  On a
x86_64 version of Ubuntu, opensc is built for x86_64, not i386.  For
whatever reason, vmware-view-client wouldn't work with OpenSC because of
this architecture difference.  To get around this, I built OpenSC on a
virtual machine (i386), ran checkinstall (added opensc dependencies) so it
built a .deb, and installed that package on the 64-bit Ubuntu OS.  By
adding the dependencies in checkinstall on i386, it also installed the 386
version of these.

The other strange thing is that OpenSC 0.12.2 would not work with
vmware-view-client, whereas 0.12.1 and 0.12.0 worked just fine.  Doug
mentioned something about 0.12.2 caching the PIN and the nightly has
something in there you can comment to fix it.  I didn't try the nightly
yet, and probably won't, just because for the time, 0.12.1 works fine for
me and my card.

I'm glad I was finally able to get it working, although it's probably not
the best way to do it.  Hopefully this will help somebody out if they are
trying to get this to work.

Mike