Hi Nebadon,
Thanks for your info, it's really shedding light on this issue. I might not
of explained what I am after in detail. I am not looking to run 1 sim, I am
looking to run multiple sims that will handle the load of 800 users. I do
not know how to make those sims (not regions I know how to make the xml file
and make another island) but the server side software connect together on
one machine to handle the load. To make that type of grid, does anyone know
where we could actually obtain those servers? Regarding asset storage, we do
not anticipate the students really doing anything except for coming into
this area and meet with their teachers for a presentation. Let me know what
you guys think, as I am trying to find the best solution for the school.
Thanks!

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Nebadon Izumi <nebadon2...@gmail.com>wrote:

> At this current time getting 800 people into 1 region is going to be
> virtually impossible, even with the load balance the region max limit is
> probably going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of around 100 users max
> per 1 region, without load balancing your going to get about 30-40 users max
> per region.  And really these limits are only going to apply if your all
> your doing is standing around chatting, if your expecting people to be able
> to build and script you can cut these numbers way down depending on your
> hardware your deploying.  My guess though even if you could get 800 people
> into 1 region (Highly Unlikley it will ever happen honestly) you are likely
> to have other issues with chat and being able to actually control
> communications with such large crowds. I hate to say it but OpenSimulator is
> really in no way capable of housing such a large production at this time nor
> likely will be anytime in the near future either.  If your talking about 800
> students spread out over an entire grid all not in the same 1 region then
> that is more realistic but the same math will apply, your going to need a
> good 30 regions with all having 1 core of CPU power and aprox 2gb ram per
> region if your expecting 800 users, and your going to need fairly beefy
> Asset services with lots of storage space.  Anyway if you have more
> questions about it please let us know.
>
> --
> Michael Emory Cerquoni - Nebadon Izumi @ http://osgrid.org

Have a creative day,

Andrew M Hughes
President
Designing Digitally Inc.

-A Second Life ® Gold Solution Developer.
-A proud member of the Better Business Bureau with an overall BBB rating of
A-.
-General Services Administration (GSA) IT Schedule 70 Contract Holder.
Address: 8401 Claude Thomas Rd. | Suite 23 | Franklin, OH 45005
Phone: 866-316-9126
Fax: 866-701-0029
Email: hug...@designingdigitally.com
Website: http://www.designingdigitally.com
Blog: http://www.designingdigitally.com/blog/
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
which they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not
review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original message.
Neither the sender nor the company for which he or she works accepts any