If ReactionGrid uses no currency, and has no plans to ever have it, and does
not wish to get involded in virtual commerce, using either core solutions or
external solutions, then indeed it is a 3D chatroom. 3D chatrooms are well
suited to Educational purposes, and indeed my own Opensim grid has been used by
a US college for educational purposes.

However, for a virtual space to take on the mantle of a virtual world, then
commerce is an essential element, and currency is essential to that.

I think the argument that there is a risk in providing a currency module in
core, from those who might complain "your code ate my money" is a specious
argument. This charge could be levelled whenever opensim is used as a platform
for a virtual world providing virtual real estate, for real world money
(whether a  currency module is implemented in core or external) as if the grid
goes down due to software bugs the grid owner stands to lose rental income, or
be liable for the claims of others.

This can all be mitigated against (in territotories that allow it) by use of a
carefully worded TOS.

Should the development of opensim be halted because someone might claim "your
software crashed my hard-drive, and I have lost US$$$" or "the bugs in your
software have contributed to me losing several tenants this week, losing US$$$
in the process"?

The software is used 'as is', with no claims as fitness for any particular
purpose, and this would apply to any core currency module.

Rock
PS Another grid, that the owner ploughed 1000s of dollars into, has collapsed
recently, due to lack of a viable currency solution.