On 06/01/2010 12:33 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
> Bryan Derksen wrote:
>> On 04/01/2010 9:02 AM, d...@metaverseink.com wrote:
>> * A "cookbook" setup guide like that blog post to be prominently linked
>> on the wiki (perhaps put a link right in the example ini itself). To
>> avoid reliance on the third party software used in this particular
>> example, perhaps a script to copy and paste into the MySQL command line
>> would be better.
>
> While you were researching, did you come across the wiki page linked off the
> configuration instructions
>
> http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Mysql-config
>
> ?  I realize now that when I was last rewriting the configuration
> instructions I foolishly assumed
> that this page was up-to-date - of course, it's not.

That was the page that led me to the blog post that actually told me
what I needed to know to set up the database. But the instructions on
the opensim wiki itself were so sketchy that I didn't really consider
them instructions. I quote the entirety of the wiki's instructions on
how to create the database here:

> Create database opensim (using MySql command)

Needless to say, I'd already guessed that I needed to do that. It was
the "how" part I was really needing. :)

>> * I haven't tried making a backup yet but that's going to be another new
>> learning experience. Some sort of cookbook/script for this would be
>> welcome too.
>
> This may be overkill - if you want to back up the whole database we're just
> talking about mysql's
> native backup procedures (for which there is, naturally, tons of existing
> documentation on the web).
>   More specifically, individual regions and inventory can be backed up using
> OAR and IAR
> respectively - these should be googleable.

Yeah, I already use OAR and IAR backups, I used them to populate my
MySQL database after I had it set up. But it's not really convenient in
many situations. My standalone has six sims, plus my inventory, so
that's six region-change and seven archive-save commands I need to
execute whenever I make a backup. I've created a command script to do
it, of course, but by the same token I could just use a batch file to
make a backup of the MySQL database.

Restoring from OARs and IARs has additional problems. My inventory gets
put into a new set of subdirectories nested off my root, requiring
manual cleanup to put it all back where it came from. All of the scripts
in my regions need to be manually reset - the console command doesn't
seem to work, I have to do it in the viewer by bulk-selecting
everything. And there's something wrong with how OpenSim is storing
ground textures and water levels, I've found that after I restore my
OARs I need to go around to each sim in turn and manually fiddle with
the terrain textures to force OpenSim to save them properly.

I know that these are all bugs that will eventually be fixed "the right
way", but in the meantime it'd just be so much easier to click a
one-step batch file that puts the database back the way it used to be.
And anything that makes backups easier is likely to save users a lot of
work down the road. They've saved my bacon innumerable times. :)