I don't think the mesh is decompressed during the upload but it is
decompressed when first rezzed in the scene, in order to generate a physics
collision proxy.

Mike, I'm surprised you got it to work with the .Net decompression
libraries. When I first did the mesh physics collider code, the compression
the viewer used was not compatable with the .Net gzip decompressor. Are you
using something other than that library?

Also, with regards to the viewer hanging during upload, has anyone
determined whether the problem is in the viewer, or in the simulator? The
simulator really shouldn't care about size until the mesh is actually
rezzed in a region, otherwise it's just a large blob that will be stored in
the asset system.  Perhaps trying to upload that same mesh to one of the
Linden grids might provide some insight.