Yes, it probably should stay there and just be excluded from the
serialization. The memory impact probably wouldn't be too bad unless it's a
unique (per SOP) reference and there are a lot of non-phantom mesh and
sculptie objects in the region. Hopefully it's not a unique reference, but
I didn't write the part that fetches that data and I haven't looked at it
in a long time. I'd suggest just excluding it from serialization and see if
that fixes the problem at hand.