I really appreciate your help... however, I'm still a little confused.
I think you are saying there are two ways of doing this
1. assign a view to a div
2. use the existing views (canvas, profile, etc.)

Can you point me to an example that uses option 1? Although I think I
understand what you are saying I'm having trouble writing an example
app that does this.

Regarding option 2, I like the idea of having multiple content
sections for each logical piece of functionality. However, it looks
like there are only a limited number of views- profile, canvas, and
home (is this right??). Each has a very specific purpose and I was
hoping I could 'create' my own named content sections like
'thingsListSection' and 'thingsDetailsSection'. I tried writing a
sample app that had these named content sections but they were not
recognized. Any suggestions??