We'd like to use an OpenSocial friends list to set up a directories of
charter school and co-op preschool parents – including their primary
committee and the family they belong to.

Is Wave the best option for building a directory with sub-groups?
Google Apps appears to only support one OpenSocial group via the
contacts list.  Is there a way to assign members of the contact list
to multiple groups, or can categories be assigned to each contact?

Initially I was going to have parents create accounts in Orkut, but
there are no mailing address fields visible in Orkut.   Is there a
setting to display mailing address fields in Orkut?

I assume the individual viewing the list in their browser will need to
be a member of each committee displayed.  Needing to be a member of
each family would be problematic for a school directory list.  So
treating the family as a unique category might be an option: Smiths1,
Smiths2, etc.  Or, better yet, can we fetch a permanent GUID to track
immediate families membership across all OpenSocial networks?