I'm trying to wrap my head around this and may not exactly be getting
what you're trying to build.  Are you building a website which
consumes OpenSocial account data?

On Jun 1, 6:40 am, LHeyns <loren.he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We'd like to use an OpenSocial friends list to set up a directories of
> charter school and co-op preschool parents – including their primary
> committee and the family they belong to.
>
> Is Wave the best option for building a directory with sub-groups?

Would you want to build an application inside of wave, or just use
wave contact data?  I'm not sure that either approach gives you access
to groups right now, so at least for the time being the answer is
probably "no".

> Google Apps appears to only support one OpenSocial group via the
> contacts list.  Is there a way to assign members of the contact list
> to multiple groups, or can categories be assigned to each contact?

You can classify Google contacts into individual groups (contacts can
also belong to multiple groups).  A general interface for this is
available at http://www.google.com/contacts

> Initially I was going to have parents create accounts in Orkut, but
> there are no mailing address fields visible in Orkut.   Is there a
> setting to display mailing address fields in Orkut?

You can set your mailing address to be visible, but it's a bit more
involved and requires setting the privacy options to be public.

> I assume the individual viewing the list in their browser will need to
> be a member of each committee displayed.  Needing to be a member of
> each family would be problematic for a school directory list.  So
> treating the family as a unique category might be an option: Smiths1,
> Smiths2, etc.  Or, better yet, can we fetch a permanent GUID to track
> immediate families membership across all OpenSocial networks?

Honestly, I'm not quite sure about this one.  There's no set GUID that
works across all social networks right now - in order to do something
like that there would need to be a lot of account verification and
linking steps and nobody seems to have come up with a great solution
for that.

You may want to look at Google's Portable Contacts implementation:
http://code.google.com/apis/contacts/docs/poco/1.0/developers_guide.html
- it'll give you access to a user's contacts list with groups
included.  The downside is that the contacts are one way - User A may
list User B in their "Family" group, but User B doesn't necessarily
have to have User A their own "Family" group, or even listed as a
contact at all.

~Arne