Exactly how you register on each 3 legged OAuth supporting container kind of
varies per container, however with 3 legged OAuth you are *not* limited to
whom ever installed your app, instead you make the requests on a
per-user-context bases (ie: their access key/secret combo).

Why containers want you to register is so that they can have an internal
administration of "this consumer key and secret belongs to this developer",
and if a developer starts doing things that are not allowed (spamming,
phishing attempts, etc), they can disable the consumer token/key associated
with that developer, and thus block him. So that doesn't have anything to do
with being tied to a social gadget, it's just a registration thing.

Ps, the containers that currently support 3 legged oauth are:
MySpace
Netlog
Hi5 (though they sometimes bug out on the redirection fase)
Plaxo (currently only supports the PortableContacts ie /people interface,
though that's likely to be expanded later this year)
oh and twitter does too btw (as non opensocial container, they have their
own API)

Support on Orkut and many other containers is in the works, so expect this
list to expand a good bit as the year progresses.

   -- Chris