This is a shindig related issue and should be discussed on the Shindig
mailing list.  When you post there, it would be useful to give some
information about what container code you are running.  As far as I
know, the standard "samplecontainer" page included with Shindig does
not support User Preferences, so you may need to use a different
testing container for this functionality.

~Arne