As far as I know, this isn't possible due to the iframe restriction on
gadgets.  Since the gadget runs inside of an iframe, you would
normally need to use window.top.onmousemove, but since the iframe and
parent window run in separate domains, browsers will keep you from
listening to the parent window's events from the child iframe.

It's possible that Flash could get around this, but I'm not familiar
enough with it to say for sure.

~Arne