Hi Christopher,

Orkut actually doesn't cache JS files that are included in your
application, so you're probably experiencing a browser caching issue. I
experienced a similar problem, where I had to navigate to the JS file and
hard refresh to see updates to the file, and found out that it was because
my server was sending ETag headers that were causing this problem. I
disabled them by putting the following lines in my .htaccess file (I'm using
Apache):

      Header unset ETag
      FileETag None

I also set my browser to check for a newer version of files on each page
load.

With the makeRequest caching, timestamps can be a quick workaround to the
problem. I wrote a wrapper function that simulates a "refreshInterval"
parameter for makeRequest calls. It's posted under the "Caching" section of
this page:

     http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-resources/wiki/GadgetsMakeRequest

Hope this helps,
~Arne