Yes, 20 default, but you can request more (arbitrary max?) number of
friends through optional parameters.

In any case, I think that the whole app data stuff isn't really meant to
be used with huge amounts of data and can't really provide flexibility
and scalability as you make your app more complex. I'd use it for some
settings or temporal storage/cache. It's limit of 10K (if I remember
correctly?) is another reason.

I guess  in the end you will want some sort of backend server (sql?) for
the app data and all persistence. Again, depending on the depth of the app.

Just my thoughts

Jelena