Hi.

At present, gadgets can issue asynchronous requests and retrieve a
text, JSON, or XML response. The requests can be used to fetch
information from a server or post new information to a server. All
users have a unique ID, which you can send along with these requests,
and certain parameters can be signed in order to verify the
authenticity of the request. More details are provided in the
OpenSocial API specification:

http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/docs/0.7/spec.html#remote

This is not intended to be a substitute for the REST API, but you can
use it in the meantime if your application requires a server-side back-
end. Please let me know if you have additional questions on this.

- Jason