The application has to be implemented as a gadget using the JavaScript
API. However, you can make asynchronous requests to your own back-end
services using the gadgets.io library. These services can return plain
text, XML, or JSON and can be implemented in any server-side language
you please -- the app is only concerned with the content returned, not
the environment used to return it.

The wiki has an example of how to use gadgets.io.makeRequest to fire
off asynchronous requests from JavaScript, although it doesn't show
any back-end code:

http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-resources/wiki/GadgetsMakeRequest

Cheers!
- Jason