While you can't change a user's orkut-wide language settings using the
OpenSocial API, you can always build a language form within your
application and store the user's preference using the persistence API.
You can fetch this stored value every time the app loads and render
the text appropriately. You can also listen for events in the form
itself to re-render the displayed text.

More on persistence here:

http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/docs/0.7/devguide.html#Persistent
http://code.google.com/apis/opensocial/articles/persistence.html

Please let me know if you're unclear on anything I've suggested.

Cheers!
- Jason