Hi,
I have a working sample for you posted at the end of this post, it is
derived from your original example. One thing I could see is the use
of <Require feature="maximize"/> is causing problem here.

Here is the working version of your original example

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Module>
<ModulePrefs title="Fetch Content as Text">
<Require feature="opensocial-0.7"/>
<Require feature="setprefs"/>
<Require feature="settitle"/>
<Require feature="dynamic-height"/>
<Require feature="views"/>
</ModulePrefs>

<Content type="html">

<![CDATA[
<script type="text/javascript">
function makeNormalRequest() {
var params = {};
params[gadgets.io.RequestParameters.CONTENT_TYPE] =
gadgets.io.ContentType.TEXT;
var url = "http://staging.edotsols.com/filmorbit/amey1/
orkuttestapp.php";
gadgets.io.makeRequest(url, function response(obj){
//obj.text contains the text of the page that was requested
var html = obj.text;
document.getElementById('content_div').innerHTML = html;
}
, params);
}

gadgets.util.registerOnLoadHandler(makeNormalRequest());
</script>

]]>
</Content>

</Module>