I don't know if I completely understand what you're asking, but I
think I have a clue. Your application is rendered in an IFrame hosted
on an orkut.gmodules.com domain, NOT from your server. Since most
modern browsers prevent applications from accessing cookies that were
set by a different domain, your application, if rendered on orkut,
won't be able to access the cookies set by your server. For this
reason, it doesn't make sense to use sessions -- your back-end should
be completely stateless.

When the REST API is available, you'll be able to build more
traditional Web applications that can access friend information on
orkut, but this won't be available for a little while.

- Jason