I have created applications for Orkut, Facebook, Hi5, MySpace and Ning
so far. Will be doing a friendster and bebo next week.

Facebook and Hi5 are the most application creator friendly platforms.
Amongst the open-social platforms, Hi5 is most professional. They have
a fixed set of guidelines. If your app follows these guidelines, it is
approved within a day sometimes. If not, you are promptly notified.
MySpace is highly buggy (still) - if you work around these bugs, they
are quite professional in responding and approving applications.

Orkut is the most frustrating amongst these platforms. They take
almost a week to inform you the reason why your app cannot be
approved. For some of my apps, there has been no response even after 3
weeks of submitting the application. Sometimes the response borders on
the ludicrous trying to advise on what content is good for your
applcication.

I hope the orkut team is reading this and will ensure a professional
process of application approval. A bad application will be rejected by
the users, so Orkut does not have to work extra hard trying to
prejudge whether the app is good or bad. I guess a simple set of
guidelines and ensuring that there is no objectionable content is what
orkut should focus on.

my 2 cents.
Sanjeev