Yep, I believe Preetam is right.

OpenSocial has two distinct users: the OWNER which represents the
individual whose profile is hosting the application and the VIEWER
which represents the user who is currently using the application.

If you always want to display the friends of the current user, you
should specify opensocial.DataRequest.Group.VIEWER_FRIENDS in your
data request, not OWNER_FRIENDS. Please let me know if this answers
your question.

- Jason