See my post in this thread (the language being discussed is ASP.NET
but the same information applies to PHP):

http://groups.google.com/group/opensocial-orkut/browse_thread/thread/...

You basically have the three options that are listed there. The REST
APIs are right around the corner but they're not available yet. Until
then, you can use the gadgets.rpc library (third option in my post).
This library allows you to define JavaScript functions that use the
OpenSocial API (to post a new update or return a user's friends, for
example), "register" them, then call them from an external page. We've
written up a short tutorial here which I hope you find useful:

http://code.google.com/p/opensocial-resources/wiki/RPC

- Jason