I cannot get any of the content rewrite examples to work in my
gadget... All I get in the sandbox is a generic error:

There was an error getting information about this application:
Unknown Error

Here is one of the example content-rewrite parameters I've tried to
use in the gadget (retrieved from
http://orkutdeveloper.blogspot.com/2008/06/rewriting-returns-to-sandbox.html)

                <Optional feature="content-rewrite">
                        <Param name="include-urls"></Param>
                        <Param name="exclude-urls">.*</Param>
                        <Param name="include-tags"></Param>
                </Optional>

Whatever error is underlying this appears to have broken our
production gadget. I removed it from production but I've left it in my
test gadget at http://nightrider.myminilife.com/lrtest/opensocial/orkut.xml

regards,
Luke