Can I take a simpler approach like this:

1- use javascript regular expression to detect if the user input
string has a dangerous tag
2- if there is any forbiden tag then I'd just use the
gadgets.util.escapeString before displaying the content
3- if the string is clean I'd allow the content to be displayed
without escaping it.

Do you think this is safe enough?

Regards,
Guilherme