It seems that the new albums api only grants access to the viewers
photos if the user has explicitly granted permissions to the
application.

The application may only be able to access public albums of friends of
the viewer if the friends have added the app and granted it explicit
permissions.

There is nothing open or social about these apis. I can understand
privacy concerns around private albums and photos, but why block
access to public photos of friends ?

These photos are already accessible on orkut to every one.

Requiring users to add the application and an extra action to grant
the application access to photos would make it very hard for any app
to grow or to provide any social interactions around photos.

How will the app grow?
What features can we add to the apps other than doing things with your
own photos ?

What do other developers feel about this ?