OK I think I fixed this myself - for some reason a 404 Not found error
is returned if there is a slight formatting error in a conditional
statement anywhere within the templates code. By stripping it right
down to the example shown above, it then worked, then I pasted the
tags back in, one line at a time, until I found the tag causing the
error.

I guess the URL for the templates is not supposed to really exist
after all.

These OS Templates REALLY need some kind of meaningful error messages,
it is really unintuitive to get a '404 not found' for minor syntax
errors in conditional statements, and then very hard to track down the
source!

Cheers,

Chris