Erik Nordmark wrote:
> Artem Kachitchkine wrote:
>
>> An example network attached printer entry looks remarkably like this:
>>
>>  udi = '/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/network_attached/192_168_0_15'
>

> What would happen if a user has a printer at work at (private) IP
> address 192.168.0.15, and has a completely different printer at home
> which happens to be at the same private IP address?
>
> Can the system handle that? Or will the poor user have to reassign the
> IP address for one of those printers?
>
> (The fact the identifier would be the same for both is why it looks
> suspicious - using IPv4 address as global identifiers doesn't work
> since private IPv4 addresses are commonplace.)
>
>    Erik
The path in the HAL device tree is nothing more than a temporary place
holder.  The consumer of this data uses the device supplied serial
number to uniquely identify it.  After some of the email exchange
yesterday, I will augment that to use a MAC address based unique id if
the device doesn't supply a serial number of it's own..

       -Norm