Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 05:50:04PM -0400, Stefan Teleman wrote:
>>> What consequences and complexity?
>> Having all the Consolidations which currently use GCC 3.4.3 discover that
>> the GCC compiler they use no longer exists, and it has been replaced by a
>> newer compiler, and this was done without providing them a proper
>> transition time.
>
> But you're replacing GCC [yet].  You're replacing binutils, and as far
> as we all understand there's no reason why GCC 3.4.3 shouldn't work just
> fine with the new binutils.  Have you tested GCC 3.4.3 w/ the latest
> binutils?  You certainly could (build binutils, install it, then build
> all consolidations that can build with GCC 3.4.3, then run some tests
> (not necessarily every testsuite we have -- that would take a long
> time and a lot of effort for you).

It's not a question of me not wanting to do the work, it is simply a matter of
"no-one has ever asked for the current GCC 3.4.3 to update its binutils".

Therefore, the answer is no, i have not tested GCC 3.4.3 with the newer
binutils, because this was never part of the plan.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman
Sun Microsystems, Inc.