On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 06:04:40PM -0400, Stefan Teleman wrote:
> >But you're replacing GCC [yet].  You're replacing binutils, and as far
> >as we all understand there's no reason why GCC 3.4.3 shouldn't work just
> >fine with the new binutils.  Have you tested GCC 3.4.3 w/ the latest
> >binutils?  You certainly could (build binutils, install it, then build
> >all consolidations that can build with GCC 3.4.3, then run some tests
> >(not necessarily every testsuite we have -- that would take a long
> >time and a lot of effort for you).
>
> It's not a question of me not wanting to do the work, it is simply a matter

I did not think I implied that.  I still haven't.  However, you seem to
be arguing "better not risk it" while it'd be nice to know if it is a
problem or not.

> of "no-one has ever asked for the current GCC 3.4.3 to update its binutils".

So what?

> Therefore, the answer is no, i have not tested GCC 3.4.3 with the newer
> binutils, because this was never part of the plan.

Maybe it should be, because the architecture that makes sense is to
deliver binutils in /usr/gnu/bin without 'g' prefixes and in /usr/bin
with 'g' prefixes.  So far as I can tell every ARC member that's weighed
in on this thinks as much.

Nico