Another comments:

- some laptops do not allow changing LCD brightness via ACPI in graphics
   mode (e.g. due to graphics driver). So I wonder if you could provide
   some command line API to do this? Gnome applet will not save a user of
   such laptop.

- on some laptops, you need to do various tricks to read Fn key events and
   such laptops will likely need extra driver. How can one from this
   unbundled module bind keypress to e.g. change LCD brightness? Assume
   that there is no ACPI event for brightness up/down. Shouldn't we
   provide kernel API as well?

Maybe it's worth considering to split ACPI functionality to several
modules like:

acpi_vid{eo} for switching video outputs/changing brightness
acpi_bat{t} for handling battery
etc..

Thanks,

Vita