Alan Coopersmith <alan.coopersmith at sun.com> wrote:

> > What we _really_ should discuss is whether there is a program in / (not
> > /usr)
> > that needs wordexp() as wordexp() is currently in /lib/libs but calls
> > /usr/bin/ksh
>
> That would be an excellent argument for adding a copy in the root filesystem
> as part of the case that makes wordexp() call ksh93, but I thought that was
> not going to happen until a future case, not as part of this case.
>
> (Just to be clear to all those not familiar with the ARC process - even if
> this
>   review decides not to provide /sbin/ksh93 as this case, that doesn't
> prevent a
>   future case from doing so when it has a good reason, such as replacing the
> libc
>   wordexp() function.   ARCs understand times change, projects progress, and
> user
>   expectations evolve, and adapt as needed.)

It would also a way of arguing against adding more shells to /sbin in future as
wordexp() could be a requirement. Currently, the wordexp() man page could be
called broken as it does not mention the fact that wordexp() does  not work when
/usr is not mounted.

J?rg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de (home) J?rg Schilling D-13353 Berlin