* Darren Reed <Darren.Reed at sun.com> [2009-06-03 14:04]:
> Namespace
> =========
> Now that the file has been shipped for a number of years, we need
> to make reasonable guesses about what customers may have done since
> its delivery.  One such guess is that they may have created projects
> with names similar or the same as SMF FMRIs or executables with which
> they are associated.  Thus in creating a new project to be shipped by
> default, using a name such as "login" or "init" or "inetd" cannot be
> considered to be without risk.

  Although it seems to have been slightly mangled in the translation to
  a product manpage in project(4):

    projname      The name of the project. The name  must  be  a
                  string  that  consists of alphanumeric charac-
                  ters, underline (_) characters,  hyphens  (-),
                  and periods (.). The period, which is reserved
                  for  projects  with  special  meaning  to  the
                  operating  system,  can  be  used  only in the
                  names of default projects for users.  projname
                  cannot  contain  colons (:) or newline charac-
                  ters.

  you, as an operating system designer, are allowed to use '.' to
  provide an escape from the otherwise flat namespace.  I would probably
  avoid the stock symbol prefix, and merely use "svc.inetd", etc.

  (The mangling is the "used only" case, which is a statement that there
  are only a few known reserved patterns at present.)

  - Stephen