Stefan Teleman wrote:

> Garrett D'Amore wrote:
>
>> But we're not talking about things mandated by the standard.  And the
>> standard in no way dictates anything about how those functions and
>> data members are encoded by the compiler.   That is the problem we
>> seem to be having here.
>
> You are asserting that the compiler will encode the binary
> representation of std::streambuf differently, simply because the
> library version has revved up, but the class layout remains identical ?

That isn't what I'm asserting.

I'm asserting that the architecture in the libraries *appears* (to me at
least) be fragile where binary compatibility is concerned.

> If this is what you are asserting [ and this is what I understand you
> are asserting ], please prove it. I cannot prove that the compiler
> isn't broken.

The compiler isn't broken.

> You're also now raising the non-existent problem of the gptr() vs.
> _C_gptr.
> In other words, the sample implementations provided by the Standards,
> vs. the actual implementation of this particular Library.

But _C_ptr (or rather its offset) gets encoded into binary
applications.  So, that member becomes locked in stone, or  the member
(both its type and offset) is not permitted to change without a break in
the binary compatibility.

> I do not see the point of discussing why the Apache Standard C++
> Library chose to implement _C_gptr instead of gptr() [ not that the
> actual intent of the Standard is violated in any way ].

You were looking for an *example* of the kinds of breakage that could
occur in the Apache C++.  I only picked on this one because it
illustrated my point.

>> You're mistaking an immutable *programming interface* for an
>> immutable *binary interface*.
>
> Please stop telling me what I do and do not understand. You still have
> not provided a single example of ABI breakage in the Apache Library.

I give up.  If you have nothing else claim (and I can't seem to make my
concerns understood by you, and possibly not even to other ARC members,
I'm not sure), then just ask for a business vote on Wednesday.  I'll
write the minority opinion if your case is approved.

    -- Garrett