Byron Servies writes:
> I am objecting to having a single binary referred to by different names
> in several locations.  This invites confusion between incompatible
> programs (cc, make, ld, cpp, yacc, etc.) and frustration when a
> developer has the "wrong" bin directory first and doesn't understand why
>   make suddenly doesn't work.

I'm afraid that's actually proper and correct.  Please see PSARC
2007/074, "/usr/gnu".

> In my opinion, the proposed layout makes things worse without solving
> any problems.

If you'd like to revisit the decision made in 2007/074 (which
established the very thing you're objecting to), then the proper
procedure would be:

  - (optional, but polite) first contact the submitter of that case
    (Stephen Hahn) and ask him if he'd be willing to reopen the case
    in light of your new information.

Failing that, the next step is:

  - bring a formal request for appeal to SAC; this will require either
    a Director's or Distinguished Engineer's sponsorship.  (Sorry
    about the lack of OpenSolaris goodness here; the process hasn't
    been updated in approximately forever.)

And failing that:

  - appeal to the CTO's office, with either a VP or a Fellow as a
    sponsor.

--
James Carlson, Solaris Networking              <james.d.carlson at sun.com>