Hi all,

Please find answers to questions below:

On 04/20/09 16:12, Darren J Moffat wrote:
>>> It is also not self review in my opinion since I don't see how
>>> interaction with the existing ipmitool is covered.  Nor do I see any
>>> way that the two daemons are started - I'd expect SMF services.
>> Yes, there are two SMF services - one for bmc-watchdog, second for
>> ipmidetecd. I thought it was clear from the Fast Track project
>> document (section 5, "There will be a SMF
>>   manifest for each daemon taking care of daemon lifecycle.").
>
> It wasn't what should be provided is the FMRI of the SMF service.
Sure:

- FMRI of bmc-watchdog is "system/freeipmi/bmc-watchdog"
- FMRI of impidetectd is "system/freeipmi/ipmidetectd"

>> Regarding the "ipmitool" - I  was in  contact with guys working
>> on/with "ipmitool" (Kevin.Song at Sun.COM, Hesam.Kohanteb at Sun.COM,
>> turgo-ipmi at Sun.COM ..) to clarify some technical details regarding
>> the BMC driver, and they did not raise any objections/concerns
>> regarding porting of freeipmi to Open Solaris, they were rather
>> looking forward for it. Does my answer satisfy your question, or
>> there should be detailed description what functionality is covered by
>> ipmitool/freeipmi and whether they do compete or complement?
>
> I think the ARC needs to be presented with why this is needed given we
> have ipmitool.
Answer directly from my director Fritz Ferstl (Friedrich.Ferstl at sun.com) :

"We need freeimpi because it is used by 'Tortuga', the provisioning core
of our OpenSolaris HPC SW stack. 'Tortuga' is open source and thus uses
other open source components such as freeipmi. Usage of ipmitool has
been assessed but freeipmi has found to be a better fit for the time
being."

> Also is there any impact to having these freeimpi daemons running
> given Solaris already has FMA ?
 FMA is about a local machine auto-recovery while freeipmi is able to
watch IPMI events from remote machines and perform for example:
- power-cycle remotely if needed.
- shut down/startup machine if needed

> What is the relationship between the daemons in this case and the
> ipmievd one from PSARC/2006/412 ?  Particularly in light of the long
> discussion in that case about FAM.

The "ipmievd" is just logging the IPMI events to syslog while freeipmi
"bmc-watchdog" is able to also trigger an action upon receive of an IPMI
event. The "ipmidetecd" is able to find new machines in specified
subnets that are exposing an IPMI interface and add it to "freeipmi
managed" hosts.

> --
> Darren J Moffat

  • FreeIPMI [LSARC... Michael Kearney
    • FreeIPMI [... Darren J Moffat
      • FreeIP... Darren J Moffat
      • FreeIP... Michal Bachorik - Sun Microsystems - Prague Czech Republic
      • FreeIP... Darren J Moffat
        • Fr... Michal Bachorik - Sun Microsystems - Prague Czech Republic
          • ... Garrett D'Amore
            • ... Nicolas Williams