It's really more of a nitpick. I just see some weird conversations like....

    Customer: "I'm using this LSI SAS controller so I use mpt_sas, right?"
    Sun Tech: "No you use mpt."
    Customer: "Huh? What's the difference"
    Sun Tech: "mpt_sas is for new SAS controllers. mpt is for some of
    the older SAS controllers."
    Customer: "They both work on SAS controllers? How do I know which is
    which?"
    Sun Tech: "Man page[?]"

Wouldn't something like mpt2 make more sense? Again, total nitpick. I'm
not going to argue or anything over a name. It just seems kind of weird. :)